Today was kind of a gloomy day in Texas. Overnight storms ensured that it was cloudy all day, and I admit to being a little sad over the loss by my beloved Rangers. Chili always makes me happy so it was a good day to make it. We don’t eat a lot of chips so it is fun to eat a meal that demands that we eat it with chips.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 TBS chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 6 ounces water
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes (don’t drain)
- Combine all ingredients in a crock-pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Remove or vent lid 1 hour before serving to cook off extra liquid.
- Serve over corn chips. As always check for gluten-free, dairy-free brands.
**I usually try to avoid canned tomatoes as much as I can, but that is not always possible. The high heat this summer took out my tomatoes early in the season, and I am down to the last of my summer harvest.